Monday 25 February 2008

The Reader at the Bluecoat

On Saturday 15th March, as part of the re-opening of the Bluecoat, The Reader Organisation (based at the University of Liverpool) is running a workshop that aims to help you cope with some of life’s difficulties. Members of The Reader team will offer advice and possible solutions to your problems or contemporary issues. The Reader Clinic will turn to the pages of novels and poetry n order to find some answers. "My boss tells me he loves me but there’s another, and she’s so beautiful. I can’t work out what I should do, my heart tells me one thing and my head another …”

What book could possibly help with such a problem? Perhaps Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre?

How about this predicament: “I am a tall, gangly lad and I keep tripping over my own
arms and legs. None of the other kids will let me play football. What can I do?” Solutions to this problem can be found in Liverpool Reads’ book for 2008, Keeper by Mal Peet. From Shakespeare’s Richard III, we may be able to identify certain similarities with our own PM Gordon Brown and that of Richard, the future king: “Now is the winter of our discontent…”

How can books help?

Bring your concerns, questions or dilemmas to the Bluecoat Arts Centre on Saturday 15th March, 2.30– 3.30 (just turn up at the venue, no ticket required) and meet the editors of The Reader magazine and members of The Reader Organisation as they host this special event to offer advice with the help of some great books. You can also hear more about The Reader Organisation’s projects, including the nationally acclaimed ‘Get Into Reading’ project and learn about the background of Blake Morrison’s feature article in The Guardian.

No comments: